Re: Calif drivers are OK

Factually, I haven't seen ANY evidence that American drivers are (in
general) "OK".

They are poorly trained, inadequately tested and licensed, and believe
they have a "right" to drive as they want. Law enforcement is more
attuned to raising revenue than to upgrading the driving ability and
safety of the public.

Even the wild Italians have a sense of how to behave on the road so as
to follow rules than are intended to provide a framework in which to
drive respecting each other. ( with the possible exception of blowing
through towns at high speed--but even then, they blow air horns to warn
people.)

Since it is true that in this country, the ability to drive places is a
necessity, due to our poor mass transit, the bulk of Americans simply
feel there is no need to become "good" at it.

End of alfa-digest V7 #184