[no subject]

Have a close look at the distributor mechanism... The chain is relatively
bulletproof, and I don't see how it could possibly skip THAT far out of
alignment and still drive the top end.

The other thing that occurs to me as I write that last paragraph is: the
firing order (from memory) is 1-3-4-2, right? Meaning that you probably got
the #1 cylinder to TDC after the exhaust stroke, not the compression stroke.
Roll the crank through another 360 degrees and you'll be pleasantly
surprised to find that when #1 is at TDC on that stroke, your dist will
point to #1...

- ---Jim