PLEASE HELP ON 164!

I just finished installing a new water pump on my '91 164L (auto) and
now the "Check Engine" light is on when it was not on before I started
the repair.

This is what I did:
1. Disconnected battery
2. Removed the air intake box (so I could check the timing marks on the
cams) disconnected all of the wires and hoses
3.  Took off all drive belts
4. Took off valve covers
5. Brought car to TDC (# 1 piston to top, cam marks on the mark, and the
pointer aligned with the pulley notch)
6.  Took off old timing belt.
7.  Replaced water pump.
Then did the process in reverse.

I did however, replace the spark plugs.  I have check all the wires and
hoses and everything is tight and connected.  I even checked the RPM
sensor gap.

Any suggestions?

Has anybody else ran into a similar situation?

Is there a way to check the error code in the computer?

Thanks
Chip