Re: Calif drivers are OK

At 06:47 AM 10/17/98 -0400, Rob Granieri wrote:

>This brings up a question: how is it that in the U.S., people in the fast
>lane on the freeway move over when someone comes up behind them going at a
>faster rate of speed....EXCEPT IN CA?  Is it our cultural and ethnic
>diversity influencing various drivers habits?

Rob:

I lived in Northern California for 20 years (1975 - 1995), driving the
same roads you describe during the same period.  Since 1995, I have
been living in Iowa.  Let me tell, Californians are OUTSTANDING
drivers compared to the bozos here.  I can't comment on road rage -
somehow, I don't seem to be magnet for it that you appear to be
(and that wasn't meant as an insult - no need to reach for your
baseball bat) - but believe me, people outside of "freeway land"
can't drive for &^%$#.

Iowa drivers fall into several categories, such as the 90 year old
people in huge, old American cars doing 35 mph, and running stop
signs (the median age here is about 120).  Kids (I live in a college
town) who are just inexperienced.  And, the dangerous ones, the
rural rednecks who hate anyone driving a nice/foreign/shiny car.
In fact, any vehicle that's a car, rather than a pickup truck.
The radio news regularly reports on the "methamphetimine epidemic"
in Iowa, and judging from the pickup truck drivers, I'd say it's
real.

Your comment on California's "ethnic diversity" stopped a bit
short of a slur, though other remarks in your posting were a
bit uncharitable toward your neighbors to the south.  Here in
Iowa, everyone is of German or Scandanavian origin.  They are
still idiot drivers, who will shooting the bird at anyone in
a furrin car, tailgate in their broken-down old pickups,
and generally drive like maniacs.  So, I'd say that you
can't "play the race card" in characterizing bad/raging
drivers.

California dreamin'

Jay Mackro