164 "Brake" and "Stop" Idiot Lights - Possible answer

The Question:
On an intermittent basis (about 10% of the time), my "brake" and "stop"
idiot lights will go on (always both) as I release the brake pedal -
they'll stay on until I fully release the pedal and disengage the brake
light
switch, I believe.  Everthing works fine, brake fluid is fresh, pads are
70% - I'm pretty sure it's just a false indication.  Any ideas?  I know
other 164 owners with the same/similar problem.

The Answer:
What is happening is the brake light switch has a check circuit in it. If
the switch hesitates to change positions it thinks you have an open circuit
it trips the system. The other possible problem is when the warning light is
on , have someone look at all the brake light bulbs to be sure they are all
on. The contacts melt on the cheap bulbs and raises the resistance in the
circuit causing the warning light to come on.  If they are melted,  you
should replace the sockets with ones that have copper contacts.  This
will prevent this condition from ever reoccuring again.

The 3rd brake light must have the correct wattage or you will get also
get a warning  light .

1st-Replace the brake light switch and your warning light will go away
after checking the above concerns.

End of alfa-digest V7 #178