Post-Overhaul Trauma - help!

My 75 TS just had an engine overhaul. It now faces some problems right
after a cold start. First of all, oil pressure is higher than normal
after the cold start (about 4 bar vs. the normal 1 bar at idle). And
if I step on the gas, the engine (and thus the tachometer) oscillates
back and forth, even if my foot is held steady. Of course, driving the
car is made jerkingly impossible. Upon release of the gas pedal, the
engine would stall.

Everytime when this "step on gas, engine jerks, release gas, engine
stalls" happens, there is nothing I could do except to wait, for the
engine would get back to normal after the car warms up and the oil
pressure drops back to normal. Yes, the indicative point seems to be
the oil pressure. Engine seems to revert back to its normal operations
once the oil pressure drops to normal.

My mechanic told me that this is due to the new piston rings not
giving an exact fit to the old pistons. He further mentioned that
things would get back to normal in a couple of weeks after carbon
deposits are built up for a more complete seal.

As you all know, as an Alfa nut I am distressed. Has this happened to
anyone before and does anyone know if this is expected to go away in a
couple of weeks?

I am anxiously awaiting all sorts of help and advice. Thanks.

JH