All Italian Day Report from Alameda

The annual Alfa Romeo Association benefit for Special Olympics kids took
place on Sunday, 11 October. There was a great turnout of both bikes and
cars, the weather was superb, the food delicious. Many of the usual
faces, and a few new ones, made it and everyone had great fun.

The cars ... ah, the cars. Some of my very favorites were there this
year. Many many Alfa Romeos (natural since the event is sponsored by the
Alfa Romeo Association) included a '31 1750-6C, a Zagato GT Junior, a
Tubolare Zagato. Many Spiders, Guiliettas, Sedans, GTV6s, 164s, couple of
Guilia TIs, a Montreal, etc etc. There were a fair sampling of
interesting Ferraris, an Innocenti, a hefty gaggle of FIATs, a number of
Abarths, two Maseratis, DeTomaso Panteras, and a Lancia B124 Spider, a
Lancia Appia Zagato Sport, and a Lancia Lambda. That Zagato Sport is one
of my very favorites, but I discovered that the owners (for almost 37
years!) have already written its next owner into their will ... damn!,
I'll never get my hands on it! :)

On the motorcycle front, Ed Lutz from SoCal brought his beautiful Laverda
500 Montjuic up for the event, it and Steve Wilcox' Laverda 1000
represented the Laverda marque, there was a Vespa scooter, an Aprilia
RS250 and a Moto Morini 500. The rest were an almost evenly matched
number of Ducatis and Moto Guzzis. The Moto Guzzis ranged from 1938
singles to "just out of the box" V10 Centauros, the Ducatis from a 250
Single (really nicely done cafe racer style) to the 916SP.

I rode my '89 Moto Guzzi LeMans to the event while my friend, Mike Bitz,
drove my '78 Alfa Romeo Spider up. It was a delightful day, both vehicles
behaved themselves and ran beautifully, and sweetheart Angela Barkes
home-made ice cream afterwards was a great way to end it. It was great to
see and hear all the machines once again, and to visit with all the
people who came. Thanks for everyone who attended, I look forward to
seeing you next year too!

If you live in the San Francisco area, you should plan on attending ...
it's a great day, a good cause, and worth the time.

Godfrey