RE: Prior to head gasket replacement

Paul Weimer asked:

> [I] remember reading somewhere to use oven cleaner to soften
> and remove gasket material from an aluminum surface...

I would not use oven cleaner! Might be lye, might be ??? The factory
recommends butyl
actetate. This is basically lacquar thinner. I think acteone works pretty=

well too. There is
a commercial Gasket Remover made by Permatex, I believe.

I remove old gasket with a relatively dull single edge razor blade and
WD-40
(here used as a weak solvent). After most gasket material is removed,
I use WD-40 and 320 grit wet/dry paper to get the final traces off.

Make sure you use brake/carb cleaner or acetone afterwards right before
applying the gasket to remove finger prints, etc. =

Another point--if the block does not have rollpins in the oil passages,
install them or use the "little metal circles" that Alfa Ricambi sells.
This will help the job last longer.

> Noticed that three of the head-to-block studs have a white, kinda
> powderly, coating on them. Planned to clean them up, but is this =

> the trail of something I should be aware of?

I don't think so. Clean up the stud threads with dies. Use sand paper
on the remainder of the studs to remove any scale and loose material.
When you mount the head you don't want material falling down onto the
gasket to impair the seal.

> When I install the new head gasket (purchased from IAP) any need
> for use of any sealant on either surface?

No--don't use any extra sealant on the head gasket. Some, however, do
advise using RTV silcone on the two 8mm bolts at the front of the block.

> Use anti-seize on the head bolts?

Definitely. Put a little on the top of the washer too.

Good luck,

Rich