copy cat? - Very little Alfa content

David B. Serafini is rumored to have written:

>I haven't seen the GTV in the flesh, but I've seen many photos of it.  It
>did seem to me that the Cougar is proportioned differently.  It certainly
>looks longer and maybe a little higher, and maybe not quite as steeply
>slanted at the GTV.  But the visual effect is strikingly similar.  Anybody
>know who designed the Cougar?  Was it done in-house at Ford?  Do they ever
>contract out design work?

I believe the design of the new Cougar was done in-house at Ford, as part of
their New Edge design concept, which was born from the GT90 project (I'm
*still* miffed they're not going to produce it). I know Ford has contracted
out design work to Ghia for quite some time, on some special projects
(i.e. - Ford Ghia Via in 1990, and a way-cool Ghia Aerostar concept van
sometime in the 80s. I saw it at a car show - it was awesome! It had sonar,
electronic privacy glass, and a remote control for the whole thing!) and
some production cars. I know there was a Ghia Mustang II and *maybe* also a
Ghia Tracer, or something like that.

I don't really see much in the ways of similarities between the new Merc and
the new GTV, apart from size, maybe. It's definitely not as steeply-slanted,
and I think it is longer, especially in the rear end,
proportionally-speaking. Then again, I haven't compared the two
side-by-side, either. Maybe I will. ;-)

I've seen many new Cougars in the flesh here in San Antonio, and I must say
I am impressed. It's a nice little GT car, with good lines, and a very nice
power plant in the 190-hp V6 (from what I hear). Every review I've read says
it can move some dirt... I didn't like it at first, but it has grown on me.

Sorry for the miniscule Alfa content. :-)

Cheers

Darren
85 GTV 6 Gran Turismo - San Antonio, Texas, USA