Re: Giulia/Giulietta drum --> disk

At 11:43 AM 9/30/98 -0400, Alfert@domain.elidedAlfert@domain.elided wrote:
>From: Alfert@domain.elided
>Subject: Giulietta Brake conversion
>
>Does anyone have experience converting drum to disc brakes.
>What about later ATE discs. They claim to be a bolt on with the mounting
>bracket from Centerline, but I have heard that there are problems and the
>steering geometry is effected.

Since the bracket sold by Centerline uses the original spindles, the
only possible change to the front end geometry would be the wheel
offset.  That is, the Centerline kit uses rotors + hubs from a
later car (evidently, the bearings and bearing spacing are the same
for all 4 cyl Alfas 750 through 115).  So, if the disks from a
later car have a different spacing between the wheel mounting
surface, and the bearings, than did the drums from an earlier
car, then yes, the wheel offset would be changed.  I would doubt
that if this difference exists, that it is significant, but
perhaps someone can comment.

What about putting disks onto the rear of a 750 / 101 car?  I have
not (yet) done it, but it looks as if the parts from a ATE-braked
105 vehicle would bolt onto the 750 - 101 differential.  Parts
from a 2 liter car would ALMOST work, but the axle splines and
diameter are larger.  Of course, a better set-up would be to just
switch-over the whole differential in order to get the LSD and
heftier axles from the later cars.  But, that isn't a bolt-on
operation.

Now, what master cylinder, front-rear pressure compensator, and
booster are appropriate for such a conversion?

Jay Mackro
'64 Giulia with drum brakes that actually work pretty well