Milani

In AD7-135 Rodney Tidwell expressed puzzlement about Milano models and years
and equipment, particularly automatics. Before I stick my head in the noose
again, let me say that NOTHING I say or write is intended pejoratively. I once
deeply offended a list-subscriber who owned a Silver by characterizing the
upholstery as "reclaimed mouse-fur". Mice are in fact quite admirable, both
agile and cost effective at what they do and, according to my Maine Coon cats,
extremely tasteful, and one of my best friends is a barn rat, which is
essentially an enhanced mouse, and they may in fact be the source of the
lovely grey suede upholstery in the Platinum.

National Alfa marketing managers, at least in the USA, apparently tried
different feature mixes to see what would fly in particular markets, and/or
shuffled features when particular mixes did not produce the projected sales,
which, as we all know, hardly ever materialized. Thus the '87 Milano- Silver,
a value-leader for people who prized substance over surface adornments; Gold,
for mainstream buyers who appreciated added small amenities, and Platinum, for
people who wanted refinement (or the appearance of it) in materials, finishes
and technical specifications. In the early brochure which I have (copyrighted
in 1986) none of the three were available with either an automatic
transmission or cruise-control. Standard equipment on the Platinum which had
been dropped before we bought ours in March 1987 included first-aid kit,
stereo headphones, and heated driver's seat. Standard equipment we got which
was not optional on either the Gold or Silver included ABS, limited slip, 15"
alloys and low-profile tires. Standard equipment on the Platinum which was
listed as optional on the Gold and Silver included air conditioning, radio,
and sunroof. How many do you think they sold without a radio? While the radio
was optional on both Silver and Gold, the antenna was standard on the Gold but
not an option on the Silver. The one item which was listed as standard on the
Platinum and optional on the gold but not on the silver was the power leather
sport seats with suede inserts.

My 1988 brochure lists four models: Gold Automatic, Gold 5-Speed, Platinum
Automatic, and 3.0 liter 5-Speed. (The word 'Verde' does not appear anywhere.)
Cruise-control and sunroof were optional on all four, but were the only
options mentioned. Radio and AC were standard on all. The one standard feature
on the earlier Platinum which was not available on the Platinum automatic was
the limited slip, which was available only on the 3.0 Liter.

So, there were really six different Milanos: Silver, only in '87; Gold Five-
Speed; Gold Automatic, only from 1988 on; Platinum Five-Speed, only in 1987,
Platinum Automatic, only from 1988 on; and 3.0 liter, only from 1988 on. That
is, if my brochures, owner's manual, shop manual, and inferences are correct.

D'Amico-Tabucchi does not mention availability of an automatic on the 75,
although they discuss it with both the Alfetta 2000 (USA Sport Sedan) and the
164, including the "164 3.0i V6 24 Valvole Super Automatica". Discussing the
European 3-liter 75 it says ABS was not offered, but that it had a limited
slip, which had not been available on the 2.5, one of several indications
(like the 2.5 liter Verde) that the Euro V6 75s did not correspond as closely
to the Milano as we might have assumed.

John, with a black '87 Platinum, still lusting after a someday white '88
Platinum