164 auto trans noise

Anyone had this problem with their 164 auto transmission?

A noise that's road-speed related and builds to quite a shrill sound from
about 70kmh (50mph), audible when the motor is not working hard, on
acceleration, deceleration, even coasting. I suspect worn gear teeth in the
diff or output shafts/gears. But at 85,000 Km?

The local ZF office says the 4HP-18 trans should be more robust than that,
although I've sometimes read to the contrary. BTW the box works OK in all
respects, just the noise.

Stuart Heather
'89 164
Melbourne, Aust.