Re: loose nut behind the steering wheel

With regards to the recent postings on the digest about late model Mercedes
with unintended acceleration problems,I pose a question to all
engineer/computer types in the wonderful non world of cyberspace.
     The late model mercedes having these problems have computer operated
throttles,don't they?(A "fly by wire system" as it is known in the aircraft
industry.)Could there POSSIBLY (slim as it would) be a glitch in this system
that could be causing this problem?I remember an F-16 A fighter that crashed
out at Hill AFB,Utah after the F-16 was first introduced.The f16A was the
first fighter to incorporate a full fly by wire flight system,the pilot flew
near a thunderstorm and basically lost all control of the craft.It was
determined that EMP (electromagnetic pulse)from the thunderstorm caused the
plane to fall from the sky.I am curious that perhaps there was a similar
problem on the Mercedes cars.
 In all likelihood it was the loose nut behind the steering wheel (Meaning the
driver) but it poses some intriguing questions nevertheless.Perhaps our cars
are becoming too computerized for our own good.Of course, the only real
solution is to take the vaunted "German Engineering" in these cars ,throw it
in the trash can and buy a real car;like Alfa Romeo.A 20 year old GTV or
Alfetta sedan is far nicer to me than anything new the German companies
produce today.At least it doesn't cost an arm and a leg for parts (Ok,maybe
Looking forward to interesting theories on this subject,
Terry and Sharon Akins
Alexandria,VA
1987 Milano Gold sedan (alfie)
1973 Lincoln Continental 2 door "coupe" (Das Boot)
1989 Toyota Celica GT coupe (Hers)