Re: Jeeps as tow vehicles

I regularly tow Alfas with my 1990, automatic transmission, Jeep Cherokee (4
liter straight 6) using a tow dolly.  I used to own a 4 x 4, manual
transmission, 1986 Jeep Cherokee (2.8 liter, V6) that I also towed Alfas with
also using a tow dolly.  I can assure you that if you go to U-haul to rent a
tow dolly or a drive-on trailer with a Jeep Cherokee (1986-1996) and tell them
you are towing a GTV6 (probably 115/116s too) they will not rent you anything
(they have a bias against Jeeps).  The towing vehicle has to weigh 500 lbs
more than the combined weight of the towed vehicle + the trailer/dolly.  Jeeps
do not weigh enough even though the manufacturer claims 5000 lbs (that is with
a weight distributing hitch).  Jeep Cherokees are monocoupe construction and
weigh less than a pick-up with a body on frame.

When I tow 105/115/116 Alfas I rent tow a tow dolly and tell U-haul I am
towing a 1991 Geo Metro.  No problems with automatic trans. and 4 liter engine
- - I can safely cruise at 70 mph.  I wouldn't use a trailer unless it had
brakes.  Jeep Cherokees come from the factory with larger rear brakes (drums)
if you purchase the towing package - otherwise the brakes are not suitable in
my opinion for a trailer without brakes on a stock Cherokee.

I towed my 69 GTV on a tow dolly from Ottawa to Galveston with my 1986 Jeep -
it just about killed the Jeep (2 occupants and about 300 lbs worth of stuff).
Going up the hills in Kentucky we were happy to do 35-40 mph with the
accelerator pedal on the floor - downhill we got upto 65 and there was some
fish-tailing - If these had been the Rocky mountains it would have been real
scary!  My brand new clutch was also damaged.

I also use my 1990 Jeep to tow a 21 foot fixed keel sailboat (2400 lbs with
trailer) without problems - It was a little scary with the 1986 Jeep.

Ben.