RE: canvas vs. cloth

>I see a number of hood fabrics, especially in England, listed as
"mohair".
>This seems to be the most expensive option. What is this fabric?

Mohair is produced by goats- it's similar to wool, but smoother and
lighter, and has excellent insulating properties.  As a result, it can
be woven into a strong and dense fabric that can be utilized as a
convertible top.
Mohair sweaters were big in the 1940s - 1960s.  Its texture is slightly
coarser and bumpier than that of the "fuzzy" angora sweaters that were
also popular in that era and often worn by pinups.

Robin
(whose mom knows little about cars, but lots about knitting)

'67 Duetto
'92 Saab 900
countless sweaters

Robin Boyar