decapitation of Nord engines

Due to questions asked recently about getting the head off a four banger
I thought I'd chip in with "how to make a head pulling tool".
I did a head gasket on my twinspark and had the stuck head that
everybody told me about. I made sure that I'd taken the two hidden bolts
out of the front cover (screwed in from the bottom) but the thing was
stuck. Not wanting to mess with the liner seals I needed the puller,
heres how to make one (for a twinspark at least, standard heads might be
a little different)

Get a short length of 4inch x 2 inch steel channel (102x51mm)
Try it for size, you can get a bit about 5 inches long to fit on top of
the head fixing studs, and cut to length.
Work out where the spark plug lines up and drill a hole about half an
inch diameter to line up with it through the channel.
Get one (I used two as the twinspark allows it) of the old spark plugs
and bash out the pot centre bit. Then weld a length of studding into the
centre of the spark plug body.
Fit the spark plug plus studding using a double nutting technique and
lower the channel over it. Then its a matter of tightening a nut to lift
the head.
Mine came up at the front more than the back for the first tenth of an
inch, so I put the two secret front cover bolts back in to hold the
front down and the back came up as well then.

You need a fair bit of tooling for this, but most people will have a
friend who can get this sort of thing for free.

When I get time I'll put pictures on my web page when I build it.

BTW if you want to borrow it, drop me an e-mail and we'll sort it out.
If you promise to give it to a good home when you've done with it you
can have it.
- --
Jonathan Coates
33 wagon daily driver