105 1600 HP comparison

     From what I have seen, there were three different horsepower levels of
     the twin-carb 1600 engine in 1967-era 105 models.  The Giulia Super
     had 98 HP, the GTV 108 (I think) and the Duetto 112 (I think).  How
     were these different power levels achieved?  Was it all in the carbs,
     or were there compression ratio and porting differences?  The Alfa
     Ricambi and Centerline catalogs show that the same cams were used in
     all these engines, with the same cam timing.  So that wouldn't account
     for any difference.  Did the Super have, for example, 9.0 pistons and
     the other two 9.5?  Did the Super have smaller ports?  I'm mainly
     wondering why the carbs on each are set up differently.  Did different
     venturi and jet sizes create the HP difference, or rather serve an
     engine better that mechanically produced more HP?

     Andrew Watry

End of alfa-digest V7 #117