33 valve clearance adjustment and handling

Today I got a Cardisc for the wagon which I thought would help with a
few questions I had, however you live and learn.
The immediate question which I would like to have an answer to is how do
you adjust, or even check, the valve clearances? I have looked at a Sud
manual which shows big tin lids over the cams but mines not like that.
The new cardisc also shows these lids which aren't on mine.
In case it rings any bells mine seems to have a camshaft housing casting
bolted on top of the cylinder heads. This casting has a hole in each
end, one for the camshaft to stick out to pick up the drive pulley and
another at the other end with a cover which I presume is to allow access
for the bearings, machining etc. There are no more holes in these
castings through which to get at the cam followers.
The engine is an 8 valve 1.7 with two twin choke carbs.
Any clues?

The next bit of help I could use regards the handling at high speed i.e.
on the motorway. The car appears to suffer from a kind of feedback in
the front (?) suspension which shows up as an instability.
What I think is happening is that bump steer causes the car to steer
more due to body roll, which increases body roll, which etc. etc. I dont
mean driving on, or even near the limit, so I dont think it's to do with
slip angles or tyre pressures (these check out OK).
When it does it's "ever decreasing circles" bit the car suddenly pulls
itself into the bend and requires a bit of opposite lock to bring it
back on line. Is this normal or wierd for a FWD car? Is there a cure?
- --
Jonathan Coates
33 wagon daily driver
164LV6 in bits