Re: Headlight Relays

At 10:03 AM 9/15/98 -0400, Kevin M. wrote:

>Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:48:30 EDT
>From: Xpertcool@domain.elided
>Subject: Re: Hella-vision halogen headlight
>I'm about to install a set of the IAP Hella-vision halogens in my '74 Spider,
>Which means I'm putting some pretty hot lights on old, no relay-
>included wires. Would I be wise to add a relay to the system first?

Kevin:  You would be wise to add a relay to the system first.  Of
course, if you were really wise, you'd stop driving that old car,
and watching so much Hella-vision!  But, hey, who are we Alfa-List
people to be preaching about wisdom?  Now, here's an interesting
question for the list: Where should Kevin's relay tap its current
from?

There was a company that used to advertise in "European Car" (sorry,
I forgot their name - they sold "super red-hot ignition wires", and
neat-o stuff like that, were located in Texas, and ran ads with "hot
dog stand" colors - does that help?).  Anyhow, these guys sold a kit
that was simply a headlight relay, some wire, and instructions to tap
the power from the unregulated terminal on your alternator (no, I
didn't buy one - their web site described what it was).  The concept
was that your alternator puts out something like 14.6 volts, which
gets regulated down to 12.8 (I'm making up these numbers).  So, by
applying the higher voltage to your headlights, you make them shine
brighter and/or compensate for corroded connectors and grounds.

My question is:  Yea, but what would this do to the lifespan of
your bulbs, especially hallogen?  And, would the alternator voltage
vary with RPM, and as such, cause the lights to brighten and dim
as you went through the gears (which would be sorta kool - kind
of like those purple neon lights that we all have under our Alfas).

Jay Mackro