33 gearbox oil + humble apology

Hi
I got our new 33 sportwagon legal over the weekend and It's
fine. It does however have the 3rd-2nd gearbox crunch that
every other 33 I've ever driven has if you get too
enthusiastic changing down.  I've heard apochriphal stories
that you can improve the gearbox no end if you change to an
all synthetic oil.  Does anyone know if there is any truth
in this? I've had old Austins in which you could make a
major improvement to the synchromesh by careful choice of
oil. I was going to try on my old 33 4x4 but was worried
the bevel box wouldn't cope.

Finally, when I mentioned hot coffee in my litigation rant
last week I had no idea that it might spark the dreaded cup
holder thread again. If it was me responsible then
please can I offer my sincere and humblest apologies to all
digesters.

John

John Day
J.C.C.Day@domain.elided