Alfa Romeo: View from the Mouth of the Dragon

 In AD7-081 Oleg Solovianov writes :

"I've found that the CD-ROM titled as "Alfa Romeo: View from the Mouth of the
Dragon Vol 1" is available at www.amazon.com for $50. Anybody could say
anything about it? Interesting stories? Pretty pictures? Movies?"

I received a review copy of it some time ago. In AD4-548 (look it up) Luke
Kowalski, who is an interface designer for a division of Netscape, reported on
his experience, starting with "I am VERY SORRY, but it sucks" and then
becoming more critical. I replied in AD4-549 (again, look it up) leaning over
backwards to be as fair as I could to the digest cohort while being as
complimentary as I could to a presumably sincere and worthwhile effort. Luke
later (AD4-575) moderated his criticism, saying that "It turns out that I did
not read the instructions" well enough, which, from a computer professional,
says something about the intuitive usability.

I am, clearly, an old fud- I love CDs, for classical music and some reference
purposes- and I love hoarding and using information about Alfas (as well as
the cars themselves) - I treasure the digest, as a trove of often informed
opinion- but this electronic typewriter has not seduced my imagination yet.
You may love the "View from the Mouth of the Dragon". I don't want to knock it
more than I have, but it is the only Alfa information source in my possession
which I am unlikely to ever use again, and also the only CD I have which I am
unlikely to ever use again. That may have more to do with inherent fudism than
with the merit of the thing. Enjoy yours, I hope.

John