Re: Al Porter's 164 A/C

Thanks, John and Rodney, for the tips on my hot (interior temp, that is),
black 164.  However, the freon is full and I've already installed the
sticky, shiny insulation.  The problem it was having earlier in the summer
was that the compressor was not cycling off, and the evaporator was freezing
up.  I adjusted the compressor cut-out switch and it helped a lot, although
it doesn't cycle on and off as fast as it should.  At least it doesn't
freeze up now.  You may be wondering, if the air is cold enough to freeze up
the evaporator, then what's the problem?  Well, there's just not enough of
that cold air to cool down a black car that's been in, or is driving in, the
hot sun.

Don't get me wrong, after driving for an hour or so it will get decent, but
it takes forever to cool down unless you started out in the shade, and
around town it just doesn't cut it.  Wife likes to drive the car, but she's
tired of sweating all the time, and the kids heat up in the back.  I'm
afraid that one day she'll be fed up, and I'll be forced into getting
something solely based on air conditioning capacity.  In that case I'd
probably have to sell the gtv6, and keep the 164 for myself.  Maybe I'll
tint the windows--anyone done that?  There's been talk here lately of the
heater core always being hot--maybe I'll install a cutoff valve to keep that
heat from soaking into the interior--some of it has to be making its way
inside, even if the flapper door is working properly.

Al Porter
Goldsboro, NC, where it's about 95 and 95 today (feels like it, anyway)