Photos from Monterey '98

I'd been meaning to post this URl for some time now and finally got
around to it after cleaning up some 10 Mb from my site...

I've posted a selection of photographs from the 1998 Monterey Historic
Auto Races.  The URL is:

http://www.living-history.org/classics/frameset.html

It's not complete, in two ways: first, I still have a roll of film left
to scan and upload, and second, I eventually want the link titled "Start
the Tour" to take you through some of my favorite individual images,
with thumbnails and the rest.  In the meanwhile, here are a couple of
highlights:

1 - the Wallpaper Images page.  This lists half a dozen or so
photographs that I scaled to 1024k wide or thereabouts, the intention
being to use them as background or "wallpaper" images on your computer.
Anyone here feel like putting the Le Mans-winning T33 "coda lunga" up as
your backdrop?  Okay, then how about an 8C2300 engine closeup?  A
Giulietta Sprint Veloce coming out of the Corkscrew, with two Porsches
behind it (faded to look like a photo from the early Sixties, no less)?
There's some fun stuff.

2 - the List of Images.  This is simply a directory of the photos; each
of them is a link, and the sizes are also given.  Most of the names are
fairly self-explanatory, at least to members of the intersection of the
sets Alfisti and Unix_geeks (f u cn rd ths, u hv spnt 2 mch tm tpng Unx
cmds).  In other words, if you can figure out that ss_wp.jpg is a
picture of a Sprint Speciale sized for use as wallpaper... you'll have
no trouble.  And if you can't, well, just click on things and enjoy the
surprises!

That's about it -- the pictures that remain to be scanned include the
glorious P3 that won the Louis Vuitton concours d'elegance in Paris
earlier this year.  What's especially remarkable about this is that it's
unrestored -- it's been mechanically brought up to snuff to be safe
under the rigors of vintage competition, but cosmetically it's still got
its old, faded paint, shiny-smooth cracked leather seating, and stone
chips acquired in honorable combat on the racetracks of the '30s and
'40s.  This car wins my "Velveteen Rabbit" award for the weekend -- and
if you haven't got kids, wait till I post those pictures and I'll
explain that the Velveteen Rabbit is a children's book subtitled "How
Toys Become Real."  There were some fabulous cars there that weekend,
some magnificent mobile sculptures and some irreplaceable pieces of
automotive history -- but that Alfa was a living thing.

Enjoy,

- --Scott Fisher

End of alfa-digest V7 #76