Subject: 105 suspension mods/Alfetta series/rivetting stuff!

Grham Hilder wrote:

>Les,
>
>I'd be really interested if you'd be able to post a few more details
>of your suspension changes.....
>And anyway, Digest postings on suspension
>are always good for a lot of interesting technical discussion >

I did the suspension work around 1989 maybe earlier and my calculations etc
are long gone but most of the ideas came from various publications around
the place and some trial and error, especially in getting the front-rear
balance correct. The work was all done at home, outside on the drive - that
blasted Rugby was occupying the garage! The philosophy behind the changes
is easier - make the handling suit my driving and as a bonus have a
nicer-looking car which comes with lowering the suspension height. It works
beautifully although at the moment I'm getting too much oversteer (remember
the spin on the final turn while leading at Manfeild?!) because in a
foolish moment I stiffened up the rear too much.

Incidentally Graham also commented on the Alfetta as the car which started
a phase of less-desirable cars. Sorry, can't agree with that. The Alfasud
with its retro iron block, poor body and plastic-infested interior when it
appeared around 1972? was the car that was most despised by Alfa
enthusiasts here because we anticipated that it was a signal of the way
later Alfas were going to go. Later models of the Sud were better I am led
to believe but I have never owned one of these and have no intention of
ever doing so because they just don't interest me.

The Alfetta series in my opinion, did something to restore Alfa's
credibility as a producer of GT cars. Its design is still beautiful, and it
has that twin cam engine - with no stupid rubber belt! We need one of those
like a hole in the head. The de Dion/transaxle setup also is something
special, much envied by others, but too expensive for most of them to copy
in this age of the ubiquitous front wheel drive. The driveshaft -- could be
better witness the M3.

it appears that we'll never educate the authorities let alone the masses to
structural strength principles. Race cars use rivets, GTAs were rivetted,
Boeing uses rivets  - but the New Zealand Transport dept insists that
everything be welded Hello...?!  ... McFly....!

Guess there's enough here to keep us going for a while...(chortle..)

Les . (sometimes called  T. rex)