Re: Stepnose GT and pedal/mc location

Ciao Tutti

I would like to be counted among the ones who likes the stepnose, and yes,
it is true that the design of the rear guards/fenders are superior, to my
eye at least, than in the later cars - many people thing that they're
identical. Check out the many pictures of GTAs on the web if you don't
believe me. There were subtle changes done to the bodies between the Giulia
series and the 1750 and 2000 series. When I look at our Giulia Sprint GT
(which my son has now claimed!) I see the beginnings of the best of the
affordable  true classic sports cars that culminated in the 2000 GT Veloce.
Arguably that the Sprint is still the best looking of my cars. Put it this
way - drive down the road in your Porsche or latest Audi or Japanese and
nobody bothers to even look. Do that in the Giulia Sprint GT and people
stop on the sidewalks/footpaths to stare (yes, we still walk a lot in New
Zealand).  Same for a good GTV.

Pedal/mc location - all I can say is thank goodness Alfa didn't put the mc
over the exhaust in our cars! As to whether it can be physically fitted on
the right hand side - yup, with some adjustments. The ignition coil would
need to be relocated, perhaps to near the distributor as on the Sprint
GT/GTA etc. I would like to think that the configuration that exists was
maintained partly because of aesthetics: the engine bay of the rhd
versions, unencumbered by the Spica installation, looks just so nice it
would be a pity to spoil it. If anyone in a left-hand-drive country is
interested in the layout, I can send you a Jpeg or pcx or whatever.

Couple of trivia items FYI -
All Alfas were built with the steering on the right hand side (John) until
... the ?30's
In Antarctica we were required to drive on the right side (US mode) on
whatever roads there were around and between the bases! My driver's license
from there is a treasured item..

Les - tuned the Green GTV last night after wife correctly diagnosed a
fault; everyone should have one like that..

End of alfa-digest V7 #74