Re:Gasket sealant, need everyone opinion

Hi All,

Just reinforcing what others have said in favour of RTV type products. We
used silicone sealant when building the 570 HP alloy engine for the racing
Alfetta. That car won several championships and the engine ran absolutely
trouble  free. Need i say more? Jim Steck, quoted by Rich Hirsch gives the
SENSIBLE/PROPER way to use this stuff. I think some people didn't get the
correct advice on method of use and so gave this stuff a bad name  - have
seen stringers of RTV hanging down into the oil pan of some engines ...
horrors!

BTW - we have used RTV to plug up a leak in a race tyre while it was still
leaking. Now hold on! - that was just so that we could get the car loaded
on the trailer at the end of the day, and not to go out there and race! It
worked.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Les in Wellington, NZ