Subject: RE: stirring trouble ..

Brian Shorey wrote:
>seriously, for the most part 'which gtv?' is a matter of personal
>preference.  imho the '71 provides the best of both worlds - the best
>dashboard ever put in a car, the clean grille of the earlier models, the
>wonderful 1750 motor, combined with the mechanical upgrades of the later
>models, such as hanging brake pedals, electronic fuel cutoff, blah, blah,
>blah.  the '69 would take the cake with it's neat seats and gasketed
>windshield, but it has the problematic dual booster brake system with floor
>mounted pedals that are impossible to get serviced.
>
>to each his own, you really can't go wrong with any model year gtv.

This has been a really interesting discussion for those of us addicted to
GTVs. What is surprising is that there were so many variations in
specifications from country to country. The cams/Spica bit we know about -
don't want one of those, thanks.... but suspended pedals, electronic fuel
cutoff, glued-in screen??? Right till the end of production of the 2000 GT
Veloces, we got floor-mounted pedals like real cars have, rubber-gasketed
windscreen, and no electronic rubbish. Like Brian says taste is a personal
thing, and I agree - the best car in the world for you is the one YOU like
most. This is really subjective, for example some people who appear
outwardly quite sane, seem to really like the Alfa--- , although I
personally would paint every one of those bright McLaren-orange, so the
garbage men couldn't miss them on their collection round. Many of us feel
that that particular car heralded the beginning of what someone else on
this digest has called the "Dark Age" of Alfa Romeos.

In my opinion the 1750 GTV chassis/body/trim is unbeatable. The dash, with
the instruments beautifully sculpted into it, a work of art and undoubtedly
the "best in the world" a la Brian Shorey. The instruments especially, with
maxima in the straight up position, again is "real car" stuff.

So, what's my car like? .I wanted the power and torque plus lsd of the 2
litre but not the (to me) aesthetically displeasing body and interior of
the new GT Veloce , so ....... I built a GTV the way I thought that Alfa
should have built the 2000 GT Veloce.... based on a 1750 body and interior
with genuine leather (the 1750 came like that), pulled all the supension
off and replaced it with components from Berlina and Giulia Super.
Engine-tranny-lsd from 2000 GT Veloce. Wheels - special Cromodora
Alfa-option, only 5.5 inch wide but superlight true Mg-Cu alloy. Perhaps
the only thing I'm still not too sure of is the chromed muckmetal 2000 GT
Veloce grille rather than the also-chromed mm+ss, but more elegant, 1750
version. Only non-Alfa parts are the Koni Sport shocks. .... and hey! I
still have the underfloor tandem mc with twin boosters ... perhaps Kiwis
are better mechanics than some other people... (heh, heh..).

So, to whoever posed the question first - if you don't like what's around -
build your own. These Alfas are magic cars in that just about everything
that matters is interchangeable between versions - just remember -
different driveshaft lengths where wheelbases are different, and
bellhousings should be kept with their gearboxes. And oh, yes, ... mark the
front suspension wishbones L and R if you're transferring complete. Guess
why? ...

Just for the record - I am totally responsible for this so flame away! When
I say "I built" I don't mean I got the mechanics down the road to do the
job. Like it or lump it - its mine and I love it!

Les - GT Veloce fanatic....