Diagnosing Low TEMP Sender Problems

Hmmm... I see I have the problem of the FAN not startting at low
speed... I read on the ALFA FAQ the following:

> "My 92 164L was overheating, and I replaced the notorious
> low speed fan resistor, which I *ASSUMED* was bad.
>  No, it turned out the thermo fan switch was bad.
>  It was switching the fan on at a much higher
> temperature.  Until the replacement fan switch came, I just
> bypassed the old thermo fan switch so that the fan comes on low
> speed at all times. Temp is nice and steady just above 175F."

I have a couple of Qs on this:

Is there a way to diagnose whether the low speed fan resistor is bad
aside from "guess" replacing it? I figure this resistor is the one that
is on upper back part of the radiator that has just a couple of cables
going in... Is it safe to just connect one cable to the other and bypass
it to test whether the low speed FAN will start?