Re: Giulia Super Trim & Badges

Hi Folks!!

Lots of discussion about Giulia Sedans, particularly badges, lately
(badges?we don't need no stinking badges!)

After the learned discussion of the Giulia Sedan Badge problem by Herr
Hertzman, I have a few more qualifiers to add...

1. Giulia Ti's & Ti Super's from the 1962-67 & 1963-64 era never came with
moulding plates on the C-pillar of the car to accommodate any badges-this
was in keeping with the base model/sporting aspirations of both models.

2. All Giulia Supers imported to the U.S. during the 1966-67 era had
C-pillar moulding plates, P/N 105.26.59.402.00 (RH) and 105.26.59.403.00
(LH) to which the small diameter gold cross & serpent badge was attached
(badge P/N 105.26.62.501.00).

3. After 1967, when Giulia Supers were no longer imported into the U.S.
(said model having been replaced by the "new" 1750 Berlina) the C-pillar
emblem changed on Giulia Supers from a round badge to a rather attractive
green enamel serpent (P/N for the moulding is 105.26.59.402.01 (RH) and
105.26.59.403.01 (LH), and due to the asymmetric nature of the serpent,
there was a different P/N for it for either side of the car (serpent P/N
105.26.62.500.01 (RH) and 105.26.62.501.01 (LH)).

4. Still later, the introduction of the Nuova Super in the fall of 1973 saw
the C-pillar moulding plates and badges completely disappear, never to
return again during Giulia Sedan production (which lasted until 1978).

Now, there are a large quantity of "fake" Supers out there-it is fairly easy
to find the distinctive bits and pieces from a real Super and turn a Ti into
same. But hey, that's what this hobby is all about sometimes, tailoring your
steed to meet your need. Or, as it has often been said, "whatever shakes
your tree". Unfortunately over the years this process has decimated the
ranks of the real Ti's, which is a pity as the original incarnation of the
Giulia Sedan as evidenced by the Ti is a lovely, uncluttered, charming
little gem of a car (Just my opinion, but I even like the strip speedo in
the funky instrument pod of this model).

If you have a real burning need to determine whether a Giulia sedan is a Ti,
Ti Super, Super, Nuova, whatever-it's quite simple to figure it out from
outside the car, no matter what has been added or subtracted from the
exterior or interior.

Locate the two creases on the upper surface of the trunk lid, that run from
front to back. Now, follow the left hand side (driver's side) body crease up
to where it ends in the drip channel at the forward edge of the trunk
lid-just below where the rear window terminates. Look into the drip channel
at this point, and if you really focus on the inside lower edge of the drip
channel you'll see the body type stamped into the metal here. A Ti will have
the number 105.08 (floor shift) or 105.14 (column shift), and Ti Super will
have 105.16, real Giulia Supers will have 105.26, and so on... There are
many more arcane tipo numbers for the Giulia Sedan family, like RHD, CKD,
Promiscua, and so forth-but I won't take up all the Digest's band width with
any more...

Happy Motoring!!

Dave Mericle-European Car Magazine