Giulia

I enjoyed Mark Springer's notes on the Giulias in AD7-057. Here in the USA we
received modest numbers of Giulia Supers, I believe only in 1967 although
there may have been some 1968s, and we probably got a few testing-the-waters
T.I.s earlier, but if so certainly not many.

Fusi and d'Amico-Tabucchi are in general agreement on the versions, dates, and
quantities produced, the numbers usually off by a few units, but the listing
of variations among subtypes seem close enough. Mark writes "Besides, I think
the 'problem' here also is that people in the Alfa Romeo factory in the '60's
and '70's had a tendency to use whatever part happened to be in the box and
put it on the car they were working on, no matter what type or model, as long
as it fitted. I think the snake badge would be such an item. Another item
would be the single and double headlight grilles. This is supposed to be only
available for the Giulia TI but I know of Giulia TI's that came out of the
factory with double Headlights." This fits a northern image of casual
Mediterranean work habits, but I doubt that it is literally true. Barring
typos (which abound) my impression is that one can in fact match serial number
ranges with grill/headlight combinations, and do the same with similar
variations, but that impression may be too generous.

Some of the discrepancies and anomalies may be due to shorthand descriptions
used by owners and enthusiasts but not by the factory: Mark writes "Giulia
TI's were made till 1971/72 (or even 73?). Mine is a 1970 Giulia 1300 TI."
Yes, but no. The books are in agreement that a Giulia T.I. is a Giulia T.I.,
the original 1600 cc car, and a Giulia 1300 T.I. is a Giulia 1300 T.I., but is
not a Giulia T.I. By the standards of the books, Giulia T.I.s were built
1962-1967 (Fusi) or 1962-1968 (d'A.-T.), but not later; Giulia 1300 T.I.s
1965-1972 in both books. In Mark's use, a Giulia 1300 T.I. is a Giulia T.I.
Can confusions result? Certainly. Similarly a Giulia 1300 Super is not the
same car as a Giulia Super 1.3, which was introduced two years later. The
factory certainly contributed to some confusions; the Giulia Diesel is the
Giulia Diesel in both books and on the firewall number plate panel, but the
trunk badge says "Nuova Super Diesel".

So Mark writes "I am not aware of 1600 Giulia's with single carburettors. I
thought these always had the double Weber/Dell'Orto's." But the T.I. was a
1600 Giulia with a single carburettor, and the Giulia 1600 S of 1968-1970 was
a single carburettor variant, effectively the replacement for the T.I. Would
some owners have referred to them as T.I.s? Probably, although there were
detail differences incorporating features which had been introduced to the
range.

There were thirteen distinct types according to Fusi, fifteen by d'A.-T.'s
count, and within several there were running changes in production. Some
confusion is inevitable, but I doubt that haphazard changes were made based on
a worker's whim or on accidents of supply.

On the question of the C-pillar badge (which is where this started) Mark
writes
"Werent the round badges only available on the Bertones?" That is what I
thought. Andrew Watry mentions a round badge, but I found nothing to support
one on any other Giulia variant in any of the books I have. A GT Veloce badge
applied by an owner? Perhaps. An aftermarket decoration? Perhaps. A short-
lived factory variant? Possibly. The snake-badges were certainly a factory
fitting on some cars, but not on all Supers and not on Supers only. If it were
my car (I wish!) I would leave it off, but that is the owner's choice.
Trivia question. Mark refers to Dell'Orto carbs. Now that we have rehashed
giubo vs. guibo and the De Dion/de Dion/dedion issue, is it Dell'Orto or
Dellorto? One sees it both ways, but what is the name of the company? Should
be an easy one.

John