The car cover threads

Rocky asks:

"Evolution 4, Ultralon, and
Sunbrella. Grove Motors (SLFA dealer in San Luis Obispo) sells one of
Centrex--a Dupont offshoot of Technolon.  Has anyone used any of these
materials? "

...and Ben Higgins says:

"I was wondering if anyone out there has had similar experiences with Evolution car covers - I used to love them - now I hate
them.[etc]"

I believe that one should choose a car cover material to fit one's particular usage pattern and weather.  The popular Evolution X
covers are really not well suited to very humid or rainy environments, and do not lend themselves to easy/quick stowage.  We loved
ours in Minnesota, but retired it when we moved to Hawaii.  We replaced it with Tyvek, which is ideal for sun and rain, but gives no
protection for dings and is hard to keep from blowing away.  Also, the microperforations which let moisture escape also make it easy
for cats to shred:-(  Anyway, these seem to be hard to find nowadays.  I have a cockpit cover for my Spider made of Sunbrella - I
love this stuff, and wish I could make a house roof from it, but I don't know how gentle it would be on car paint.  (It does seem to
both breathe and repel the water.)

Covercraft has some discussions of their cover materials on their web site; also, any material from DuPont is discussed on the
DuPont web site.  BTW, Covercraft seems to use the same last for all Spider covers; this means that covers are tightish on 80s-era
cars, especially  when parked with the top up.  Generic covers fit these cars better than custom-fit.

- - David Ross