Milano Transaxle in a GTV6

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.   I recently purchased a Milano
Verde transaxle (from digest member Don Happel - thanks !!) to replacer my
very tired 3.42 '83 transaxle.  I've had all new syncros, worn parts and
seals replaced and am ready to install the unit in my GTV6.  I've obtained
an '86 shift rod linkage from APE and also have the necessary componentry
to get the speedo working.

My questions are this.

First, I know the floor plan needs to be modified by hammer or more
civilized manner to clear the larger more complex shift linkage.  where
EXACTLY, and HOW MUCH space needs to be made.  I want to do this once and
then reinstall everything.

Second, I have the correct speedo amplifier and Verde speedo head which I
can fabricate to fit the GTV6 dash.  (I've become an expert in custom guage
faces. - helps to know a lot of graphic designers with excellent scanners,
printers, etc.)  How exactly do I hook up the speedo head to the amplifier
??  Since this is a GTV6, I need to run wiring between the two.  Where does
power come in?  From what I recall, there is a red wire which I'm assuming
is 12V.  A black which is ground and a purple? (not in front of me) which
carries pulses from the AMP to the speedo.  What is the other wire (s) for.
Anyone ever done this ??????

 Any help welcomed.

THANKS !!!!!!!

'83 GTV6
'91 Spider Veloce  - for sale soon - new kid, need four seat convertible -
budget mondial leads appreciated :-)
'95 VW Eurovan camper