33 16V 'vs' 33 16V P4

Peter

The difference in actual performance is marginal. The P4 is
slightly slower on top speed (1~2mph), but is slightly faster
on initial acceleration particularly in the wet. Alfa figures were
128mph and 8.2 0-60 for the 16V and 125 and 8.6 for the P4
but I think that Autocar managed to get the P4 to 60 a bit =

quicker than that. The P4 has rear disc brakes as standard
which were not available on the 16V in the UK (possibly
only came with the ABS option on the continent).

Torque split is 95% front 5% rear in normal conditions, =

down to 50/50 in poor traction.

With the P4 you will get quite severe judder on full lock at
low speed. Don't worry, they almost all do that but if
it is too severe it is the rubber mounts for the viscous
coupling in need of replacement.

The P4 is quite harsh to drive, has quite a few extra bits to
go wrong (check that when you turn on the ignition, the =

orange "4x4" light illuminates for a few seconds and the
turns out, otherwise there is a problem) but comes with
proper Ricaro seats, which only appeared on the 16V
when the P4 disappeared I think. Also, you get a very =

nice Nardi steering wheel. The boot on the P4 is =

smaller as although it is the same shape it is about
3 inches shallower, and you only get a space saver
spare wheel.  I think the P4 petrol tank is possibly
marginally bigger, or at least easier to fill to the brim
because of its shape. According to the brochures
it is about 4 L bigger.

Both have the same power at 137bhp, but when cats
were fitted they dropped to 132bhp, but all the UK P4's
do not have cats. The 8v engine produces about
110bhp. The 1.7ie has a kerbweight of 970kg, the
16V 1000kg and the P4 1070kg.

Try the 33 discussion list-

"http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?id=3D20413";

As my mailer seems to corrupt that address sometimes, the =

last bit is "cgi", followed by a question mark followed by "id", then
an "=3D" sign then 20413.

All the best

Keith

End of alfa-digest V7 #50