Silicone brake fluid

Digest-wise, I was planning to lie very low for a while, and ESPECIALLY
to not write anything relating to brake fluid, but the other day in Vol.7
no.48 a post from Richard mentioned silicone fluids, which reminded me
that this was something I've been meaning to ask Digesti about for some
time. Richard wrote :
>the key issues in assessing brake fluids are the wet and dry
>boiling points (subject to the caveat that silicone based fluids
>have other issues, and are not recommended for performance
>applications.)

I recently had some correspondence with a well-regarded long-time
member of the NZAROC (Fred Lennard), who uses Castrol's silicone
based fluid in at least one of his Alfas. The Castrol stuff is marketed here
as SRF, Silicone Racing Fluid. Fred thought it was marvellous stuff and
sent me some Castrol technical briefs on the product to read for myself.
Basically, the Castrol papers noted that the original silicone fluids did
have serious problems which countered their benefits, but reported that
the more-developed Castrol silicone BASED fluid, the SRF product, had
got round those problems and that SRF was therefore great stuff.

I have been toying with the idea of changing to SRF in those of my Alfas
which don't get used a lot, and hardly at all on the track, with the
objective of not having to change the fluid so often (this being one of its
supposed benefits). These cars I'm referring to are ones I plan to hold on
to for keeps, and I want to minimise long-term corrosion effects in the
hydraulics.  That's why I'm toying with the idea of SRF. I'd be really
interested to hear of anyone's opinions or experiences with the stuff
please........ I'm not wanting to rush into some sort of fringe-product willy
nilly and un-informed.
Apart from corrosion resistance and lifespan, other issues could include
wet & dry performance, compatibility with previous fluid in the system,
effect on the seals, etc......

Thanks all,
Graham H,
N.Z.