RE:GTV 6 Steering Problem

On 17 Aug 1998 , Darren asked,

"Last week, my 85 GTV 6 suddenly developed a rather noticeable dead spot in
the steering. It wasn't a gradual thing, either. One day is was fine, the
next day, it was bad. The dead spot has gotten progressively worse, with the
car starting to drift side to side a bit while driving. Also, there is now a
rather blatant creaking coming from the front end when I get in and out of
the car. It sounds like it's coming from the left side. Any ideas? Steering
rack? Could it be tie rod ends?"

TIA,

Darren
85 GTV 6 Gran Turismo - San Antonio

I had a similar experience in my Alfetta GT, except the onset of symptoms was
more gradual.  The problem was that the steering rack was loosing in its
mounts.  At least it was an easy fix.  Just  a matter of getting the car in
the air to have a look-see.

Jay Negrin
76 Alfetta GT
ARO Southern California