Re: alfa-digest V7 #44RE: Towing w/Alfetta

Dana, I'm not going to tell you more than what Hertzman has so aptly
described.

My experience has been mostly with flat towing my Junior Z and an 6X8
foot utility that carried very heavy loads, upwards of a ton on an
Alfetta rear axle with Alfa wheels.  I don't care what kind of load you
want to put on a tralier, if it is nearly perfectly balanced, very
little load will be on the hitch.  You'll simply need power to pull and
power to stop.  An automatic transmission is acually best, I think, for
towing without getting too technical.  Using a standard tranny, starting
from a dead stop on a hill is really tough on the clutch.  However, with
some experience gained as you go along, it is no big deal.  How fast did
I tow the Junior Z?  Just 7 mph below 100.

Fred Di Matteo