RE: AD V7 #41: 164 handbrake problem

Subject: 164 handbrake problem

In Alfa/Digest V7 #41 Jak Doskow wrote:

>     i just got a serious surprize, what i expected to be a
>     cable replacement looks like it needs that as well as 2
>     new rear calipers in order to have an operational handbrake
>     again.
>     is there anyway to get this system to function again without
>     buying the replacement calipers?

I have got the problem with the handbrake a day before going on
vacations. I went to a mechanic, he lifted a car and discovered
that the right shoe is blocking. He stroke a few times with a
hammer to release the brake but for repair he said he would need
a day. So I went on vacations without operational handbrake,
namely I was told to avoid using it and if it blocks again to
release it with a hammer.
Since I was on vacations in Italy I wisited Alfa Romeo service
where I was told that the new shoe brake part is "expensive,
about 460.000 LIT ($260) but it had never been changed before,
usually it can be repaired".

When I came back home, I had the shoe renewed ($70).

Rajko Sabo
Rajko Sabo, Slovenia
90 164 QV Zender
81 Renault 18 TL