156 in Italy...nice ride.

Hello friends and lovers of fine automobiles.

I just came back from Italy where I was visiting my parents for a few weeks,
and since I was able to rent a nice 156 for that time I thought you might
enjoy these few words.

The auto was provided by AVIS.  156 1.8L Twin Spark white I must begin by
telling you that the auto was new (300Miles on it) I kept it for 2 weeks and
had no problems with it at all.  The auto is solid and well made even if I was
able to see the FIAT tendensies in one or tow places.  We drove mostly in the
Autostrada from Catania to Palermo at speeds of 140 to 210km/H (divide by 1.6
for miles/H). The A/C works just like on my 164 L (you know what I mean) that
will never change very much like some other details that I find not worth
talking about.

Speaking of details, bravo for the hiden rear handle it is indeed a (not new
but) nice touch.  I have to admit that even my mother was looking for the
handle every ones in awhile.  The front handle are nice also) Seats are good,
the dash includes a regulator for the hight of the head lights.  Trunk space a
litle small but remember this is the replacement of the 155.  As far as how
the car handle in the montain at high speed, I was very impressed how the auto
stayed tightly on the road even to the limit.

As far as other size engine,  I saw the 2.5L V6 and of course the Turbo D wich
is much much more cost efective if you put the KM's.  Well, this is all I can
think of right now ho one more thing...if you don't like the auto...don't
worry about it...we will never get it in the state.  On the other hand the 166
the replacement of the 164 I am told by a couple salesman has a slight chance
to make it to Amerrrrica.  If you want hi tech, that is hi tech among other
nice stuff you can get it with what is my personal favorite the ***
SEQUENCIAL*** gear box( sorry, not + on english spelling) no more cluch !!!.
the 166 will be out in Oct 98 in Europe.

Take care everyone.

Ciao                                                  Michele