Self-levelling comparisions

John asked, in his highly intelligent manner:

<<<<<
Howard Warren says fixing it was "well worth it.
I've *NEVER* driven a 4-door sedan that handles like the Milano does
now."
Leads to two questions:
(1) Has Howard ever driven a non-self-leveling Milano, and was it less
fine?

(2) Does anyone who has owned fairly comparable automatic and manual
Milanos concurrently have any observations on whether one handled better
and rode better than the other in normal use? (Fred Di Matteo has had
both in the family, I believe concurrently and in comparable conditions,
has anyone else?)

To answer:

1) I've driven a non-levelling Milano, but that was a period of several
months ago when my car's self-levelling system was not fixed yet.  My
impressions of my Milano *now* is comparing it against my wife's various
cars: Toyota Corolla and Camry, Mazda Protege, plus my mother's
Infiniti.  I infintely prefer the Milano.

Of course, I must admit to having a mid-life crisis going on right now:
I sold my Spider, I have three kids, my oldest daughter is deep in the
throws of puberty and now I'm driving a 4-door car.  The concept of *ME*
driving a 4 door car has always symbolized being one foot in the grave
<g>.  But a 4-door that eats Porsche 944s... hmmm... maybe it's time to
revise my attitude <g>.

2) Good question.  There is a Milano Gold for sale in town (28k miles,
owned by my very competent mechanic's wife, but he wants way too much
for it.)  I may go drive it this weekend and get my impressions.

Still, one blessing for the self-levelling system: I can load my wife,
all three kids, myself, enough luggage for a weekend at Grandma's and
not worry about the rear end drooping!  (And still kick ass on the curvy
road!)

Howard K. Warren, Little Rock, AR; (Where the 100+ temps have resulted
in a R134a conversion in my Milano)
1988 Milano Platinum, "Snow Hawk", 148k miles