RE: 69 vs. 71 gtv differences

A bit late catching up on my digests.

Brian Shorey wrote:
>the stepped hood went away with the 1750, so the '69 has the same hood as
>the '71 (the best year for the gtv).  the '69 has rounded bumpers, the '71

I thought the '69 & '71 are 1750s.  Mine are.

>the '69 has the floor mounted pedals (and dual boosters under the hood), the
>'71 has the firewall mounted pedals (same as your spider).  the '69 has the
>small tail lights, the '71 has the larger tail lights (same as the 2 liter).
>'69 has left threaded wheel nuts on one side of the car, the '71 has right
>threaded wheel nuts all around.

I have both a '69 & '71 GTVs and my 71 also has the left threaded wheel
nuts on one side.

The '69 has a single reverse light that only works with the headlights on,
and the rear parcel shelf of the '69 & '71 are not the same length by about
6 inches.

The '69 feels like a racer, the '71 feels more civilized.  And about that
rear window defroster on the '71, some joker at the factory put the most
ugly orange switch for it smack in the middle of the wood dash.  I ripped
mine out and covered the hole with a clock.

- -Frank (Cape Cod)