Re: Re: $35,000 Alfetta

      It was written:

      ">Hey let's all cut this guy some slack. Maybe the car has great
      sentimental
      >value to him.

      Maybe his girlfriend is forcing him to get rid of it. I can hear it
      now:

      "But I TRIED to sell it baby. $35K is rock bottom for that car, I
      guess
      we'll just have to hold on to it until I get a reasonable offer ;) "

      - -O"
      ---
      I tried that trick once, and it failed! I had a '79 Spider which I
      knew I needed to sell because our baby daughter had arrived and we
      had to have a back seat, but I really hated to sell my Alfa.......so
      I deliberately priced it a lot higher than market failure, in a
      pathetic and morally reprehensible attempt to fool my wife into
      thinking I was making a legitimate effort to sell the car (while
      pricing it too high for any sensible person to buy it). That way, I'd
      be able to keep the Spider. Unfortunately, someone bought it. At my
      asking price. He didn't even try to bargain me down at all!

      Thus went my last Alfa. I miss it still. By the way, I've owned two
      Alfettas, both '79's, a Sprint Veloce (yes, the famous Mille Miglia
      special edition!), and a Sport Sedan. The Sprint Veloce,
      unfortunately, was rusting away into oblivion when I sold it. The
      Sport Sedan was a wonderful car; for all its faults, probably the
      nicest car I've ever owned. I wish I'd never sold it, but at the
      time, I was just about to get married and buy a house, and I needed
      all the money I could get. Oh well!

       Dave Spiegelthal
       '91 BMW 318i (Not an Alfa, but very tolerable)