A.L.F.A. and spouse irony

Always Looking For Another (A.L.F.A.) and "girlfriend" comments recently
prompted me to submit this email.

My wife (Barb) had almost bought a late '80's spider before I knew her, she
was scared away from the ALFA by friends.  After we married she bought a
used '91 Spider (I have had Alfa's since 1973, so Barb felt comfortable).

Last year I went through the dreaded fix the Milano (including body work,
high pressure pump and clutch at 130k miles) or buy a 164 for "everyday"
ALFA decision.  We stumbled upon a great deal for a '94 164 LS w automatic,
so we went for the 164.  Barb wasn't easily convinced we should buy the 164,
I was able to convince her and we make the purchase.

I have a company car ('97 Bravada) for everyday work driving, so it's
"free".  For the work car, I have the choice of station wagon, mini van or
SUV, must be "American" brand and under $ 30k out the door.  Hey, insurance,
fuel, service, etc. are all covered.

Now, I'm looking for another, either something interesting like a Montreal
or a time trial car like GTV-6 maybe GTV (71-74).

I suggest adding another, Barb says, we'd don't need another and there's no
room in the garage.
I counter that we can add a lift; thumbs down.
I suggest selling the Spider, Barb says NO WAY, this is my car.
I suggest selling the 164, Barb says NO WAY (and I had to push to get this
ALFA, Barb wanted to eliminate the Milano w/o replacement).

Irony:  I'm the AFLA enthusiast (car guy) and it turns out (why am I
surprised?)I have no ALFA myself!  Not even a car of my own!  We have three
vehicles and I apparently have little control over any of them.  It could be
worse at least two are Alfa's, but... I want another!

Mike Nakamura
Washington State / USA

Mike_nakamura@domain.elided