Re: alfa-digest V7 #12

>Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 13:04:43 -0500
>From: joxxer@domain.elided
>Subject: Airplane enforcement
>
>I was driving (nay, speeding) through the state of California and I
>whizzed by several speed limit signs that said that they were enforced
>by airplanes. I decided that this was an easy way to scare folks into
>going the speed limit, thinking that they were being watched from above,
>and that it was not a real threat for me, so I kept on speeding. In
>fact, if I was on a California interstate right now, I would probably be
>going really fast. Is there anyone who has been caught by the airplane
>enforcement out in the scarcely populated regions of the state? Or even
>the densely populated regions? My theory is that it is just an inside
>joke among the state troopers.

I regularly do the I-5 between LA and San Jose (Los Banos).  On many
occasions, I've seen low flying planes with the words "Patrol" painted
on the wings following the highway.  If that isn't airplane enforcemnt,
then I don't know what else it could be.  Fortunately, the most of the
time I've seen them, they were going in the opposite direction.

- -Dennis
San Diego, CA
'85 GTV6