Re: Auto Sport Sedan

In v07.n007 Rodney asks about the auto sport sedan.  This most likely is
a 116.58 model, sold in the 'states in '78 and '79.

> I saw a fs ad for an auto sport sedan in the Memphis, TN newspaper.
> Among other things, the ad noted that the car needed a u-joint.  Now,
> I've never seen such a car; but, I would have thought it had an auto
> transaxle similar to an auto milano.

Yup.  ZF HP 22 auto, same transaxle layout as the 5-speed models.  As far
as I know same two-piece driveline, three donuts, inboard brakes, and
driveshafts.  But to alfetta standards, different from milano.

> Further, I assume there would be
> no u-joint.  After all, there are no u-joints associated with the
> driveline of my gtv6 or milano (both 5sp).

You could call a donut a u-joint.  But not the Cardan type. Call 'em
three CV joints.  The driveshafts account for four more CV joints, for a
total of seven.

And that doesn't count the one in the steering column.

> So, does the auto sport sedan have a transaxle in the rear or a more
> conventional setup?

I think of the sport sedan as an alfetta, the last of the 116 series we
saw in the 'states.

cheers,

mark m thornton
seattle washington usa