Addenda to gardening and promiscuity, plus a princess

In AD7-003 Keith Walker added to the short Milano(75) wagon thread, ending
with
"and there was also an Alfasud estate", which I (being from the 'Sud-deprived
wilderness area) had not known about or had forgotten. Back to d'Amico-
Tabucchi: indeed, a very neat box, a two-door where the Giulietta, Giulia, 33,
and abortive '75 wagons had all been four-doors. It seems to have been the
first Alfa wagon called a Giardinetta, where the Giuliettas and Giulias had
all apparently been called Promiscuas. The book says 5,899 were built.

Looking to cross-reference the reference, I checked Fusi. The edition I have
(third, 1978) includes in the main body of photos and technical
characteristics the basic sedan, the ti (lower case, where the Giulietta T.I.
and Giulia T.I. had both been upper case, with periods), the Sprint, and the
giardinetta, which became station wagon in the Fusi English translation, both
terms lower case. (Sprint, however, is capitalized.)

In the technical characteristics section Fusi gives production of 3,755 units
to the end of 1977, the second year of production, leaving just over 2,000 for
the last three years. No Alfasud production numbers are listed in Fusi's final
sections of production numbers and serial numbers, which also do not include
the Dauphines or the Arnas (which were introduced in '83, after Fusi was
published, unlike the Dauphines, which were '59-'64).

A final anomaly, d'Amico-Tabucchi does not list production numbers for Arnas
in the table of "Alfa Romeo cars produced - -" but does list there the numbers
for the Dauphines (70,502) and the R-4 (41,809). I found it mildly interesting
that the total number of Dauphines and R-4s Alfa built from '59 to '64 was so
close to the number of Giulietta Berlinas and T.I.s built from '55 to '62 -
112,311 against 128,822.

Fusi's omission of 'Sud numbers might be attributed to northern prejudice, and
his omission of Dauphine numbers might be attributed to good sense, but I
don't catch the rationale for d'Amico-Tabucchi's particular omissions and
inclusions. It does show the advantage of having more than one source.

John