164 Burning Oil -Reply

"Todd Boyer" <tboyer@domain.elided> writes...

>Hello everyone, I know there are some 164 experts out there so I have a
>question for them.  My 164 has 126k on it.  When I bought it at 115k it
>was supposed to have had the 120k service on it.  It turns out it did
>not (just a warning for those of you who use A-1 auto in Mountain View
>CA).  So I had the 'external' work done, i.e. timing belt, cap and
>rotor, upgrade timing belt tensioner, etc, but did not have the valves
>adjusted.  Now oil is fouling up the spark plugs.  I was using Mobil 1
>15w-50, but have switched to Red line 20w50 on the last change which was
>today.  The valves click a bit too.  So here's my ignorant question.  Do

>I need a valve job? (not sure it was done at the 120k "service") or do I
>need a rebuild.  This seems a little early for a rebuild give these
>engines are supposed to last much longer than that.  Thanks for your
help

Todd-

How much oil are you burning?  If you're fouling the spark plugs in
fairly short order, I'd guess that you need valve seals & guides -
considering the mileage and unknown history, it's not at all out of the
ordinary.  If you don't have a reputable shop nearby, I'd suggest sending
the heads to Dennis Black for the overhaul - he has the latest exhaust
guides which will probably outlast the motor.

Good luck,

Brad Anesi
'91 Project 164Q 5-speed

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]