Disappearing Reverse Gear

I'm not kidding ~ the reverse gear on my '89 Graduate disappears.

Actually, it's more like the gear gox rolls over and engaging reverse becomes close to impossible.

I've grown accustomed to roll the gear box back over when in fifth gear by pulling on the stick shift towards me.  Although, when switching cars with someone becomes necessary it's close to impossible to communicate the subtlety of 'rolling the stick shift'.

All help greatly appreciated!

Albert
Monrovia, CA
'89 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate