re: Driving desire

Brilliant!  Hans de Kok's analysis (below) hits the nail on the head.

To expand on this a bit, I would venture to say that few Americans ever
liked Hans' category 1 cars.  These cars were formerly more appreciated in
Europe where most, if not all, of them were built, but Europeans' tastes
have also been evolving toward category 2.  I remember a lunchtime
conversation with a colleague when I was working in Italy a few years ago:
this guy owned a Bertone 1300 junior (which he never drove to my
knowledge), but--in reference to my 75 V6-- said that current Alfa Romeos
were "too old fashioned."   He drove an Audi.