re: honda CVCC CoC

Scott Fisher writes...
>1.  While Sir Alec Issigonis' Mini (another choice) was in 1959 the

OK, I had all this stuff written in praise of the Fiat 128 and then saw
Mark Battley's and Matthew Killick's posts in the next digest. Ditto and
Bravo, Mark and Matt.

>4.  Virtually every automobile in the world today owes its platform,
>layout, and execution to the transverse FWD setup that the Civic, if not
>invented, then certainly proved in the automotive world.

I think this may be a provincial US view of this as I don't think the Civic
was much of a force in Europe. (European correspondents chime in????) They
were doing there own thing with all sorts of FWD cars by the early 70's. I
understand the view though...as it seemed every third car in California at
the time was a pukey yellow Civic.

CVCC may have been an intersting stop-gap method by which to avoid
traditional smog-abating equipment but it didn't work well for long (of
course the Japanese never figured we'd drive ANY car beyond 4 years). Gains
made from this design/equipment were quickly lost once the mechanisms
wore/clogged/whatever. I swear every time I get behind a smoke-belching
CVCC car these days. Thank god most have gone to the grave (no collector
car status for them, thats for sure!

Michael Williams
Sacramento, California US of A
69 Duetto