Desires to drive, or are we just old fashioned

Ok Bob (brady), now I understand what you mean when you were disappointed
about the 156.

There are actually two worlds and type of cars here,

1. one is the type we all seem to like: where a car gives you this special
kind of feeling. It has nothing to do with power, speed or whatever. Where
maybe the 105 Giulia rules the world, because as far as i know this car
gives you this special 'super' feeling. Even if you only have a 1300cc
engine. (one of the reasons i own three Giulia Supers). Ok, you get about
the same feeling in a GTV, Spider or Berlina, since they are about the same
cars.
Other cars might get close.
Problem for us is that most people dont like this feeling. Therefore the
number of cars giving you this 'Alfisti' feeling is very low, and there are
no modern cars left with this feeling, ( the feeling itself has become old
fashioned).
One of the last cars having the feeling was the Milano, where journalists
told you the car is old fashioned, because it does not feel like the
competitors cars, which all reside in category 2.

2. Most people enjoy feeling 2, which is more or less an easy driving car,
no noise, maybe a lot of torque and power, very light precise steering. I
dont know which cars are the best here, (beamers or so?),.The 164 and the
156 have a high score here, In this category the engine power is important.
(my 164 V6 is much better than the 2.0 twin spark version which drives like
a tractor compared to the three liters). The 156 1.6 versions sucks while
the 156 2.5 may get a high score. In the feeling 1 category this is
impossible. A 1300 super is still very good, although a 2000 Super is even
better. But since driving/steering fun is the same, the power is not that
important.

Of course we could hope that new Alfas would score high in the feeling 1
category. They however dont compared to Giulias and Milanos. Because most
people dont like that feeling in their driving. So thats a reason for
disappointment. However, compared to the competition the new Alfas still
give you that special cat.1 feeling.
So please dont compare new Alfas with old ones (unless you are looking for
reasons to keep that old Alfa) , but try to compare the new Alfas with
other new cars.

Greetings,
Hans de Kok
Currently owning a Spider1600, Giulia1300, Giulia1600, Giulia2000,
Berlina1750, Milano2.5, 164 3.0